HKUST has established partnerships with two leading MOOC platforms - Coursera and edX. These platforms provide a convenient way for instructors to create and deliver online courses, while also enabling learners from all over the world to access higher education.
While both platforms offer similar features, the choice between them ultimately depends on the specific needs of your course, your preference in managing the administrative side of the platform, and the prevalence of MOOCs in your department on each platform.
To help you make an informed decision, here are some key details and features of each platform. If you want to get a better idea of the learning experience on each platform and these features from a learner's perspective, you can enroll in a course on Coursera or edX.
Our partnership with Coursera not only provides a platform for the University and faculty members to reach learners outside of Hong Kong, but it also offers benefits to the wider HKUST community through the following programs. HKUSTers can earn certificates for free upon completion of courses in these programs.
- Blended Learning & MOOC Blended Learning & MOOC
- Teaching and Learning Innovative Projects Teaching and Learning Innovative Projects
- Education and Generative AI Fund Education and Generative AI Fund
- UGC's Strategic Grants
- eLearning Workshops
- New Faculty Orientation
- University Teaching and Learning Course
- Graduate Teaching Assistant Program Graduate Teaching Assistant Program
- HKUST eLearning Strategy
- Generative AI & Education Generative AI & Education
- Teaching and Learning Symposium
- Augmented and Virtual Reality
- Seminars & Workshops
- Blended Learning Blended Learning
- Contact Us
- Experiential Learning
- Gamification & Game-based Learning
- Institutional Learning Technologies
- Active Learning Tools and Proposed Usage
- MOOC MOOC
- Learner-centered Course Design Learner-centered Course Design
- Online Teaching - Real-time Online
- Online Teaching - Mixed-mode Teaching
|Program||What is it?||For whom?|
This exclusive MOOC portal offers online courses and specialization series developed by our very own faculty members.
HKUST students, staff and alumni
This portal has thousands of online courses, specialization series, and guided projects from Coursera’s top partner universities, like Yale and Duke, worldwide. The course catalog is curated by Coursera.
Current HKUST students and staff