The Senate approved the policy for offering credit bearing online courses at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels in mid 2017.
Schools/departments may apply through CUS/CPS for their MOOCs to become credit bearing Self-paced Online courses at HKUST. The completed proforma would be submitted to the eLearning Task Force for endorsement before being passed on to CUS/CPS for approval.
One major difference between a typical MOOC and a credit bearing Self-paced Online course is that students would have to go through a rigorous assessment, usually in the form of a proctored examination, in order to earn academic credits.
A limit would be set on the number of credits from Self-paced Online courses that could be used to satisfy the graduation requirements of a degree program. At the undergraduate level, the limit is 6 credits and this does not apply to credits obtained through credit transfer as they are handled by existing credit transfer procedures of the University. At the postgraduate level, the limit is 50% of the degree requirements and this 50% includes both Self-paced Online courses and any other transfer credits granted.
Contact June Chan at CEI if you have any questions on the above.
- Blended Learning & MOOC Blended Learning & MOOC
- Teaching and Learning Innovative Projects Teaching and Learning Innovative Projects
- Education and Generative AI Fund Education and Generative AI Fund
- UGC's Strategic Grants
- eLearning Workshops
- New Faculty Orientation
- University Teaching and Learning Course
- Graduate Teaching Assistant Program Graduate Teaching Assistant Program
- HKUST eLearning Strategy
- Generative AI & Education Generative AI & Education
- Teaching and Learning Symposium
- Augmented and Virtual Reality
- Seminars & Workshops
- Blended Learning Blended Learning
- Contact Us
- Experiential Learning
- Gamification & Game-based Learning
- Institutional Learning Technologies
- Active Learning Tools and Proposed Usage
- MOOC MOOC
- Learner-centered Course Design Learner-centered Course Design
- Online Teaching - Real-time Online
- Online Teaching - Mixed-mode Teaching